The requirements for Level 1 and Level 2 Employment Background Screening are found in Chapter 435 Florida Statutes.
- Level 1 Background Screening is outlined in s. 435.03, F.S. and requires an employment history check, statewide criminal correspondence checks through FDLE (name-based check), and a check of the Dru Sjodin National Sex Offender Public Website and may include local law enforcement checks.
- Level 2 Background Screening requires fingerprinting for statewide criminal history checks through FDLE and national criminal history checks through the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Employers may conduct a local law enforcement check as well.
The list of disqualifications from employment is found in Section 435.04 F.S.
- Anyone arrested for and awaiting final disposition of prohibited offense, regardless of adjudication
- Anyone who has entered a plea of nolo contendere or guilty to a prohibited offense
- Any case where the applicant was adjudicated delinquent and the record of committing a prohibited offense has not been sealed or expunged
Fees for screenings through the Care Provider Background Screening Clearinghouse:
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement - $8.00
- Federal Bureau of Investigation - $13.50
- 5-year retention of fingerprints by Florida Department of Law Enforcement - $24.00
Actual costs may vary depending on live scan provider.
A listing of live scan providers can be found at: InternetDoc_ServiceProviders.aspx (state.fl.us)