State Mental Health Treatment Facilities
Northeast Florida State Hospital (NEFSH)
Here you will find information primarily for persons with friends or loved ones who are residents of Northeast Florida State Hospital.
The following paragraphs explain the Visitation Rules and Schedules, Code of Behavior while visiting and information about the Hospitality House for extended visits.
If you are planning a visit, please review this information to ensure your visit is a pleasant one. If you should have any further questions about visitation, rules, and/or schedules, please contact the Community and Resident Relations Department at 904-259-6211, extension 1158.
Hospital Rules And Procedures For Visitors
- Visiting hours are:
Monday - Friday, 3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Weekends and Holidays, 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and any two hours between 1:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Families of individuals who are listed as critical in the acute care facility (Shady Oaks and 3C Building 12) may visit at any time, as approved by the Service Team.
- Minors, as defined by Florida Statute, are permitted as visitors only under the supervision of an adult and must have approval 10 business days prior to visiting.
- All visitors will stop at the visitor’s information booth, at the main entrance, where security personnel will log in the name of each person, the time of their arrival, and the Unit/Living Area they intend to visit. The visitor will be issued a visitor's pass.
- No visitor may bring cameras or video cameras to the campus, unless the visitor signs, in advance, the proper authorization form.
- No visitor may bring alcoholic beverages, drugs, or weapons to the campus. Violators may be subject to arrest.
- No tobacco products of any kind are allowed. NEFSH is a Tobacco Free Environment.
- No visitor may give cash to persons served. All cash, money orders & checks must be deposited into the persons account. NEFSH is a Cashless Society. Residents are not allowed to have cash on their person, tokens are used in place of cash while residents are in the hospital.
- Visitors and residents must use the Visitor Center for their visitation or designated visitor’s room, lobby, or area; respecting the right to reasonable privacy of communication, dependent upon the physical construction of the building, and availability of a private area.
- No visitor shall be allowed to routinely enter the general living area. This includes hallways, sitting rooms, bedrooms, chart room, storage room, etc., except in the case of a critical resident in the Lemonwood Village where visitors may be allowed access to the resident's bedroom as necessary.
- Visitors shall not have access to medical records without a properly signed authorization presented to the medical records custodian and may only review these records subject to provisions established by law.
- Each living area will maintain a visitor’s log to include name, address, and relationship of each individual visiting the resident.
- Day passes, based on a written physician's order, will be maintained on the living area chart and the original given to the responsible party.