- Get Help
- Substance Abuse
- Adult Mental Health
- Adult Forensic Mental Health System
Health Treatment Facilities
- About Us
- Executive Leadership Team
- Visitation Information
- Catchment Area
- Events Calendar
- CARF Accreditation Survey
- Services and Programs
- Volunteer Services
- Programs for Internships
- Driving Directions
- Contact Information
- Contact FSH Webmaster
- Persons with Disabilities and Limited English Proficiency
- Northeast Florida State Hospital (NEFSH)
- North Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center (NFETC)
- Employment Information
- Florida State Hospital
- Children's Mental Health
- Juvenile Incompetent to Proceed (JITP)
- Pre-Admission Screening and Resident Review (PASRR)
- Florida’s State Opioid Response Project
- Youth Tobacco Prevention
- About Suicide
- Black, Indigenous and People of Color/Asian American and Pacific Islander
- Covid-19 and Suicide Prevention
- Crisis Support Information
- First Responders Suicide Deterrence Task Force
- Florida Special Populations
- Florida Suicide Prevention Interagency Action Plan
- Lethal means safety: keeping our families safe
- Loss Survivors
- Safe Reporting
- Service Members, Veterans and Families
- Suicide Attempt Survivors
- Suicide Prevention Coordinating Council
- Teens/Young Adults
- Florida Partnership for Success (PFS)
- Prevention Partnership Grants (PPG)
- Prevention Partners
- Florida Youth Substance Abuse Survey (FYSAS)
- The Annual Synar Report
- Event Calendar
- Crisis Services
- Recovery Oriented System of Care
- For SAMH
- Managing Entities
- Incident Reporting and Analysis System (IRAS)
- Recovery Residences
- FARS Training
- CFARS Training
- Disaster Behavioral Health
- Know About Trauma
- Training and Technical Assistance
- Program Information
- SAMH Dashboard
State Mental Health Treatment Facilities
Northeast Florida State Hospital (NEFSH)
Frequently Asked Questions
This page is designed to assist you in finding answers to your questions. Should you have a question that is not answered here, please feel free to submit your question to us by E-Mail. We will provide you with an answer as soon as possible. We are committed to providing you with the information necessary to help you understand and make informed decisions about mental health issues.
What is the role of Northeast Florida State Hospital?
To provide continuous service to people whose mental health needs cannot be met in community based programs or whose needs require a residential treatment environment with specialized programs and services that promote the successful return of individuals into community living.
How do I go about getting a person admitted?
A referral must be made by a Mental Health Center. There must not be a less restrictive environment available and the person must be primarily mentally ill and pose a danger to him/herself or others.
What ages do you accept?
Adults, 18 years of age and older residing in the 30-county area of the Department of Children and Families who require long-term inpatient hospitalization.
Are individuals allowed to have visitors?
Click here to access Visitation Information. Video conferencing visits can also be arranged by contacting the Social Services department (904) 330-2383 or the main number (904) 259-6211 and ask for Social Services.
What personal belongings can I bring with me?
Excessive amounts and valuable belongings are discouraged. A list of allowable items and contraband can be found in the Standards for Community Living. If you would like a copy, please contact Customer Relations (904) 330-2226 or Social Services (904) 330-2383.
How can I contact my family member or loved one?
If you know what living area your loved one is assigned to, you can call 904-259-6211 and request for the operator to transfer you to the designated living area.
You may also mail letters / cards to:
7487 South State Road 121, Macclenny, Florida 32063.
Please include the living area; if known. Before mailing care packages, please speak with Social Services staff in regard to what items are appropriate and or allowed. Social Services call 904-330-2383.
How can I get updates on my family member or loved one?
Social Service staff serve as the primary point of contact for family members and identified supports. Call 904-330-2383. Treatment updates are available to family members or identified supports contingent that a signed release of information form is completed. Please keep in mind, if your loved one doesn’t want their information shared, NEFSH will respect their wishes.
Treatment team meetings are scheduled Monday through Thursday.
Call Recovery Planning for more details: 904-330-2014. If your loved one is a resident of Shady Oaks 32N or 32S, please call 904-330-2351 or 902-330-2467.