Skip to main content

Click Here for Medicaid Redetermination Information

Office of Child and Family Well-Being

Who's Really Watching Your Child?

Primary Caregivers

To talk with a representative about how to find services for your family, call 2-1-1.

Make sure you know who’s really watching your child. Do they have what it takes? There are a few things you can do to lower the risk of leaving your child with a secondary caretaker. Ask yourself these question:

Does my partner/friend/caretaker:

young woman and child
  1. Treat other women/men in his/her life with disrespect?
  2. Get angry when you spend time with your child?
  3. Get angry or impatient when your child cries or has a tantrum?
  4. Call your child bad names or put them down?
  5. Think it's funny to scare your child?
  6. Make all the decisions for you and your child?
  7. Put you down or tell you that you're a bad parent or that you shouldn't have your kids?
  8. Pretend when he/she hurts your child that you are to blame or that it's no big deal?
  9. Tell you that our child is a nuisance or annoying?
  10. Scare or threaten your child by using guns, knives, or other weapons?
  11. How does my friend/partner/caretaker treat and interact with other children (nieces, nephews, friends' children, etc.)?

Your child could be at risk if you answered "yes" to even one of these questions.

Never leave your child alone with someone you don't trust to keep your child safe.

Parenting Guide - Download the free Parenting Guide. Available in e-book, hardcopy and on the web!

Parenting help in your area. Use this searchable database to find local parenting programs.

Find Child Care. - Visit the Office of Child Care Regulation website to find child facilities and homes, look up child care provider history and learn about how to find the best child care environment for your child.

*If you need help providing child care for your child, contact your local Early Learning Coalition.

Know the background of your child’s caregiver. - Use the links below to confirm background information.

Services for Children with Disabilities. - If your child has disabilities, special health care needs and/or are at risk for developmental delays, please call The Central Directory at 1-800-654-4440 for more information about additional services.

Who's Really Watching Your GRANDCHILD? Many grandparents are primary or part-time caregivers for their grandchildren. Learn how to make this transition easier on you, the child and the parents.