Guardianship Assistance Program (GAP)
Extension of GAP
Families entering into a Guardianship Assistance Agreement when a child is age 16 or 17, may be eligible for the Extension of Guardianship Assistance Program if eligibility criteria is met. Eligibility criteria for the Extension of Guardianship Assistance Program includes the young adult participating in at least one of the following:
- Completing secondary education or a program leading to an equivalent credential;
- Enrolled in an institution that provides post-secondary or vocational education;
- Participating in a program or activity designed to promote or eliminate barriers to employment;
- Employed for at least 80 hours per month; or
- Unable to participate in the programs or activities listed above due to a physical, intellectual, emotional, or psychiatric condition that limits participation. Any such barrier to participation must be supported by documentation in the child’s case file or school or medical records of a physical, intellectual, emotional, or psychiatric condition that impairs the child’s ability to perform one or more life activities.