Procedures For Admission To A Florida Forensic Facility:
Authority for the provision of these services is provided in Chapter 916, F.S. *. Evaluation and treatment prior to an adjudication of incompetent to proceed (ITP) or not guilty by reason of insanity (NGI) and in-jail treatment are provided at the local level, with funding shared by the local county. Individuals are served by state mental health treatment facilities after an adjudication of incompetent to proceed or not guilty by reason of insanity and determination that commitment criteria are met. All individuals committed to the department for involuntary treatment, pursuant to Chapter 916, F.S., are charged with a felony offense.
Commitment Package Includes:
- ITP or NGI Commitment Order
- Copies of all Psychiatric/Psychological Evaluations
- Charging instrument and all supporting affidavits or other documents used in the determination of probable cause
Additional Information Requested Upon Admission:
- Jail Discharge/Transfer Form **
- Current PPD
- HIV status
- Hepatitis report
- Arrest record/affidavit
- Indictment indicating correct charge(s)
- Clinical/psychiatric progress notes from jail
- Visitor information if available
- Inmate/patient property inventory
- Inmate/patient funds
Mail Commitment Package To:
Forensic Admission Coordinator
Department of Children & Families
1317 Winewood Blvd., Building 6, Rm. 223
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0700
Individuals are placed on a waiting list and scheduled for admission to a forensic facility based on the date of receipt of the complete commitment package. Upon availability of appropriate space, the local sheriff's department will be notified and will be responsible for arranging transportation to the designated treatment facility.
Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
(No Weekend Or Holiday Admissions Are Accepted)