Each of the residents at NFETC has rights to confidentiality which means that information we have in our records can only be shared under certain circumstances. These are:
- If a Resident or his legal guardian gives written permission, information may be shared for a specific period of time to the person or agency specified in the written permission.
- The Center reports to the committing Court and attorneys involved in the case at certain times.
- The Court may order the Center to share information with a specific agency or person.
- If a Resident has said he intends to harm someone we have a duty to warn the potential victim.
- In order to make sure treatment is continued after a Resident leaves the Center we can share information with groups such as:
- Social Security and Veteran's Administration.
- Law enforcement personnel, state attorneys, public defenders and judges.
- Personnel at the jail where the Resident will return.
- Community mental health agencies and others who will be providing services upon the Resident's return to the community.
- If a Resident gets a serious medical illness the Center may contact the next of kin.