CARF Accreditation (September 2015)
Florida State Hospital is the first state mental health treatment facility in Florida to receive accreditation, as well as the first to receive the Governor's Sterling Award.
CARF (Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities) is a three-year accreditation.
Florida State Hospital Receives Historic Preservation Award
Florida State Hospital was awarded a 2014 Florida Preservation Award for Meritorious work in the preservation of Florida’s Heritage. This award recognized the adaptive use and transformation of the old Powder Magazine that was part of the Mount Vernon Arsenal (in later years the Apalachicola Arsenal) to a functioning conference center and future museum on the hospital campus. The award was presented by the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation at their 35th Annual Preservation Awards Ceremony held at the landmark Tampa Theater on May 16, 2014. Accepting the award for the hospital and the Department of Children and Families (DCF) were Jim McKnight, Assistant Hospital Administrator, and Avi Wygodski, AIA, Assistant Staff Director for DCF’s Office of Design and Construction. Assistant Administrator McKnight said, "It was truly my honor to accept this award on behalf of the hospital and the countless number of community members, current and former administrators and the staff who have worked on this project over the last 18 years. This was team work at its best, with members contributing by: obtaining the grant funding, performing skilled work (hospital maintenance and Aramark in later years) and the manual labor provided by the Department of Corrections."
The conference center opened in January of this year and plans are underway to develop the museum.
State-Wide Special Recognition
- Florida Governor's Sterling Challenge (1998)
- Florida Governor's Sterling Award Recipient (1999)
- State of Florida Interagency Advisory Council on Loss Prevention Loss Control Management (1993-1999)
- Florida Department of Labor and Employment Security, Division of
- Safety Award (1993-1999)
- Excellence in Healthcare Risk Management Modern Healthcare Magazine and MMI
Companies, Inc. (1993 and 1998)
- U.S. Department of Energy- Best in Category- Energy Conservation (1995)
- Best Workers' Compensation and Disability Management Program in the Public Category,
Risk & Insurance Magazine, Horsham, PA (2004)
Davis Productivity / Florida Tax Watch