News and Announcements
Updated Background Screening Process
“To comply with new federal and state requirements, the department has revised the background screening process for individuals who have resided outside of Florida at some point in the last five years. Below is a summary of the new process, which authorizes provisional hiring based on certain criteria.
As always, we greatly appreciate your continued patience and cooperation as we incorporate this additional layer of protection for the health and safety of our children. The department will continue to coordinate with our federal and local partners as we streamline the process for out of state checks.
Department staff are available to answer questions or assist with Clearinghouse access and account set up. For direct assistance, please contact Background Screening Help Desk at 1-888-352-2842 or send an email to background screening unit at this link.
Updated Background Screening Process
Instructions for Child Care Owner/Operator/Employers are outlined below.
More details and links to instructions for each step are available online at www.myflfamilies.com/backgroundscreening.
- Complete a search for the individual in the Background Screening Clearinghouse.
- For individuals who are already in the Clearinghouse:
- If the individual’s status is “DCF Child Care Eligible” – add individual to roster and proceed to steps 2 - 5.
- If the Clearinghouse indicates an “Agency Review” is required – select “Initiate Agency Review” (no cost)
- If the individual has had a break in service for more than 90 days or needs to be rescreened by May 2017 – select “Initiate Resubmission”
- For individuals who are not in the Clearinghouse:
- Select “Initiate Screening.”
- Schedule a fingerprinting through a Clearinghouse-compatible Live Scan Vendor.
- Check criminal records for every state the individual has lived outside of Florida in the last five years. Forward results to the DCF Background Screening Unit for review.
- Check child abuse and neglect registry for every state outside of Florida the individual has lived in for the last five years.
- Check sexual offender/predator registry for every state outside of Florida the individual has lived in for the last five years.
- Check employment historywith each employer for whom the individual has worked in the last five years. Try at least three times to contact the employer, and keep records of these contacts for your files.
Pending Results from Out-of-State Records – While you are waiting for the out of state results, if the individual meets the Florida Level 2 screening requirements, DCF may grant provisional hiring status for 45 days while the out-of-state check is pending. During provisional employment, the individual must be in the line of sight of an employee who has already met all screening/training requirements.
- DCF’s Background Screening Unit will issue an eligible or non-eligible result for employment through the Clearinghouse upon completion of searches and results from other states, if applicable.
Note: Keep a copy, on-site at the child care program, of documentation of all elements in the process in the individual’s personnel file for review by the licensing authority.”
There are four scheduled trainings, two in Tampa at our DCF office and two in Palmetto at the Early Learning Coalition office. Please click on the link below as to which training will work best for you.
This training will cover all changes as a result of the Child Care Development Block Grant Funding. All school readiness providers should attend, if possible.
Child Care Regulation Provider Meeting (Tampa occurs several times. Please register for the time that works best for you_:
- October 24, 2016, Department of Children & Families SunCoast Region Headquarters - Auditorium, 9393 N Florida Ave, Tampa, FL 33612
Child Care Regulation Provider Meeting - (Palmetto occurs several times. Please register for the time that works best for you):
- Tue, October 25, Early Learning Coalition of Manatee County, 600 8th Ave W, Palmetto, FL 34221
After registering you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the training.
New Online Training Courses Available
The Department of Children and Families, Office of Child Care Regulation is offering 3 new courses: Safe Sleep Practices, Guide to School-Age Program Quality Standards and Self-Assessment, and Child Growth and Development.
Safe Sleep Practices (SAFE) is a 1-hr online course for caregivers to become familiar with safe sleep-related practices for infants and toddlers. This course provides an overview of appropriate methods, tips, and requirements for ensuring infants and toddlers are safe while they sleep, and be less likely to experience injury or death as a result of unsafe sleeping practices.
Guide to School-Age Program Quality Standards and Self-Assessment (SALT) is a 12-hr online course which is a combination of two courses: The 8-hr Standards for Quality Afterschool Programs (SQAP), and the 4-hr Quality Self-Assessment and Improvement for Afterschool Programs (QSAI), of which the content of the two individual courses have not changed. What is different is individuals will now register for a single course and upon completion of both courses (SQAP and QSAI) will have access to a single CEU assessment and competency exam.
Child Growth and Development (CGDR) is a 6-hr course offered on-line or as instructor-led. The CGDR course describes basic principles of child growth and development, and developmentally appropriate practices. Individuals that have completed the Child Growth and Development (CGAD) course prior to July 5, 2016 will have until March 31, 2017 to register for the competency exam. Individuals that completed the Child Growth and Development (CGD or CGAD) course to meet the Part I or Family Child Care Home training requirements do not have to retake the course. Individuals may choose to take the new course (CGDR) to earn CEUs or in-service credit.
These courses are available under Training and Credentialing.
Upcoming Provider Meetings
The Provider Meeting Presentation is currently being updated and will be available to the public soon.