For Immediate Release: October 2, 2012
Contact: Erin Gillespie, Press Secretary, (850) 717-4450
DCF Works to Prevent Domestic Violence Through Statewide Awareness Events
October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
TALLAHASSEE—The Department of Children and Families, the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence and our partners across the state are recognizing October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month with events across Florida.
DCF’s Office on Domestic Violence Programs works to ensure the safety of victims of domestic violence through our primary partner, the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence, whose core mission embraces addressing the needs of victims and families in crisis.
“Our agency is committed to helping end domestic violence,” said Secretary David Wilkins. “Children can only be safe, happy and healthy if they live in a nonviolent home. And every adult deserves to live a life free of fear and pain. We want to raise public awareness to prevent the suffering of children and their families and the lives lost to this devastating crime.”
Last year, there were 111,681 domestic violence incidents reported in Florida alone. Even more tragically, 192 individuals died as a result of domestic violence crimes, representing almost 20 percent of homicides in this state. In that same time, domestic violence shelters across the state provided a safe place to 15,997 women, men and children fleeing from domestic violence situations in their homes.
"Domestic Violence Awareness Month is a time that we as a state and nation grieve together for those who have lost their lives as a result of domestic violence,” said Tiffany Carr, CEO of the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence. “It’s also a time to celebrate and honor those who have survived acts of violence and have found safety and hope, and to recognize all who work daily to keep survivors and their children safe. During October, we should all reaffirm our commitment to ending the violence."
For more information about domestic violence programs, please visit www.fcadv.org or www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/domestic-violence. To read one domestic violence victim's story of survival, visit our blog at http://blog.myflfamilies.com/2012/10/she-finally-became-a-participant-in-her-own-life. If you or someone you know is the victim of domestic violence, call the Florida Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-500-1119 or the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.
• Oct. 3, 8 a.m.: Center for Abuse and Rape Emergencies annual “Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion” breakfast, Isles Yacht Club, Punta Gorda. Call 941-639-5499.
• Oct. 3, Noon-1 p.m.: Salvation Army Domestic Violence Program of West Pasco Annual Appreciation Luncheon. RSVP to Lynn_Needs@uss.salvationarmy.org.
• Oct. 4, Noon-6 p.m.: Dawn Center 2012 Fall Feast, Lizzie’s Coffee House, 7635 Horse Lake Road, Brooksville.
• Oct. 4, 7 p.m.: Candlelight Vigil, Plaza de la Constitucion, St. Augustine.
• Oct. 5-31: Favor House of Northwest Florida and the Pensacola Museum of Art host “Breaking Hearts: Stories of Domestic Violence.”
• Oct. 5, 7 p.m.: Martha’s House Candlelight Vigil and Remembrance, 3912 U.S. Hwy. 441 SE, Okeechobee.
• Oct. 6, 9 a.m.: Safe Place and Rape Crisis Center Stepping Out Against Domestic Violence Walk, J.D. Hamel Park, Sarasota.
• Oct. 6, 1-4 p.m.: Peace River Domestic Violence Shelter Awareness Family Event, Dream Center, 635 W. 5th St., Lakeland.
• Oct. 6: SafeSpace Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, Riverwalk Stage, Stuart.
• Oct. 9, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.: Domestic Violence Council Awareness Month Luncheon, Sunset Harbor Yacht Club, Daytona Beach.
• Oct. 11, 7:30-9 a.m.: Hubbard House 18th Annual Barbara Ann Campbell Memorial Breakfast, Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront Hotel, 255 E. Coastline Drive, Jacksonville. firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Oct. 11, Noon: YWCA “Women in Power” luncheon, The Gardens Mall. 561-640-0050.
• Oct. 11, 5:30 p.m.: Peaceful Path Awareness Walk and Candlelight Vigil, County Administration Building, Gainesville.
• Oct. 12: Annual Law Enforcement Awards Luncheon, Santa Rosa County.
• Oct. 12, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.: Help Now of Osceola “The Voices of Survivors” conference, Valencia Community College, Osceola Campus.
• Oct. 12, Noon: Harbor House Purple Door Luncheon, SeaWorld Ports of Call.
• Oct. 13, 7:30 a.m.: Aid to Victims of Domestic Violence 13th Annual Race for Hope, Anchor Park, Delray Beach. www.avdaonline.org
• Oct. 13, 9 a.m.: Family Life Center Walk-A-Mile in Her Shoes, Flagler Palm Coast High School Campus. 386-473-7610 ext. 101.
• Oct. 13, 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m.: SafeSpace Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, Tradition, Port St. Lucie.
• Oct. 13, 7:30 a.m.: Race for Hope, Anchor Park, Delray Beach.
• Oct. 13, 1 p.m.: Rotunda West Chapter of the General Federation of Women’s Club Fall Tea Party, Englewood Community Presbyterian Church, Englewood. www.gfwc.org
• Oct. 13, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: SafeHouse of Seminole County Purses for a Purpose fundraiser, Lake Mary City Hall, 100 North Country Club Road.
• Oct. 13, 7 p.m.: Martha’s House and VFW Purple and White Night awareness event. 3912 U.S. Hwy. 441 SE.
• Oct. 14, Noon-6 p.m.: Dawn Center of Hernando County and Lizzie T’s Coffee House host the 2012 Fall Feast of Hernando County.
• Oct. 14, 6 p.m.: Help Now of Osceola March and Candlelight Vigil, Toho Square, Kissimmee
• Oct. 14: “Cut A Thon” by Salon West to support The Haven of R.C.S.
• Oct. 15, 7 p.m.: Hippodrome State Theater presents “Telling Amy’s Story.” 25 Southeast 2nd Place, Gainesville.
• Oct. 16, 8 p.m.: Shelter for Abused Women and Children “Pay What You Can.” Gulfshore Playhouse at the Norris Center, 755 8th Ave. South, Naples.
• Oct. 17, 6-8 p.m.: Refuge House Domestic Violence Awareness Speak-Out and Candlelight Remembrance, Tom Brown Park, Tallahassee. www.refugehouse.com
• Oct. 18, 11 a.m.: Betty Griffin House Fashion Show, Sawgrass Marriot in Ponte Vedra. Call 904-808-8544.
• Oct. 18, 11:30 a.m.: Center for Abuse and Rape Emergencies Auxiliary Society Annual Luncheon, Carrabba’s Italian Grill, Port Charlotte. Call 941-639-5499.
• Oct. 18, 5-7 p.m.: Vivid Visions shelter open house, 1227 Houston Abe. N., Live Oak.
• Oct. 18, 5:30-7 p.m. Refuge House Speak-Out and Candlelight Vigil, Gadsden County Courthouse Square, Quincy.
• Oct. 19: Annual Law Enforcement Awards Luncheons, Escambia County.
• Oct. 19, 12:30 p.m.: Salvation Army of Brevard County Domestic Violence Program “Chip in to End Domestic Violence Golf Tournament,” Baytree National. 321-631-2766 ext. 822.
• Oct. 19-21: 17th Annual New Beginnings Art Show, Cordova Park.
• Oct. 20, 10 a.m.: Shelter for Abuse Women and Children and the Naples Human Society annual Halloween Pet Costume Contest, Germain BMW, 11286 Tamiami Trail North, Naples. 239-643-1880 ext. 18.
• Oct. 20, 9 a.m.: Orange County Domestic Violence Talk Force, Lake Eola.
• Oct. 23, 6:30 p.m.: Salvation Army Domestic Violence Program of West Pasco and Pasco County Sheriff’s Office Candlelight Vigil. 727-846-6498.
• Oct. 23, 7 p.m.: Family Life Center and Trinity Presbyterian Church 2nd Annual Service and Remembrance for Victims of Domestic Violence, trinity Presbyterian Church.
• Oct. 24, 6-7:30 p.m.: Sunrise Domestic and Sexual Violence Shelter 16th Annual Candlelight Vigil, Agnes Lamb Park, Dade City.
• Oct. 25, 11 a.m.: Haven of R.C.S. Faces of Domestic Violence Luncheon, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Old Coachman Road Clearwater. 727-441-2029 ext. 203.
• Oct. 25, 6:30-9:30 p.m.: Salvation Army Domestic Violence Program of West Pasco Annual Speak Out event for current and past clients of the program. 727-846-6498.
• Oct. 26 6-9 p.m.: Peace River Domestic Violence Shelter Silent Witness Memorial, Lakeland.
• Oct. 27, 7 a.m.: Women in Distress of Broward County 14th Annual Safewalk-Run 5K, Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek.
• Oct. 27, 8:30-10:30 a.m.: SafeSpace Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, Indian River Medical Center, Vero Beach.
• Oct. 27, 7 p.m.: Martha’s House and KOA Laugh and Live Celebration. 4276 U.S. Hwy. 441 SE.
• Oct. 27: Shelter for Abused Women and Children Immokalee Outreach Office Immokalee Peace March, 5K and Children’s Fair.
• Oct. 28: CASA foundation “Gallery Mingle,” Mindy Solomon Gallery, St. Petersburg.