June 23, 2012
Corey Simon Kicks Off "Corey's Kids" Camp for Champions with Pep Rally Event
About 70 children will participate in athletic, mentoring activities this week
For the second year, the Department of Children and Families and Big Bend Community Based Care are partnering with former FSU and NFL star tackle Corey Simon to host “Corey's Kids” camp for about 70 children this week on the campus of Florida State University.
This year, DCF and our many partners across the state held more than a dozen Camps for Champions for 1,000 children in foster care. These camps offered mentoring, team-building and leadership opportunities. Several camps focused on athletics, but others offered art classes, technology and more. All of the camps helped the youth share a special experience and build self-esteem and character.
Corey's Kids camp will kick off Wednesday evening with a pep rally. On Thursday, the youth will be participating in various sports activities, then attending a Rhema Soul concert specifically arranged by Corey Simon for these youth. A campus tour and mentoring sessions, along with the special treat of an iMax movie, will be on Friday. The last camp day is Saturday, when the youth will be spending an entire day at the Beau Turner Youth Conservation Center.
Media are invited to attend the following events:
- Wednesday, July 25, 6-8:30 p.m.: Kickoff Pep Rally at Maclay School Gymnasium, 3737 North Meridian
- Thursday, July 26, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.: Sports Activities with Corey Simon, FSU Intramural Fields
- Thursday, July 26, 6:30-8:30 p.m.: Rhema Soul concert, Every Nation Church, 2555 North Monroe Street
- Friday, July 27, 9:15 a.m.-12 p.m.: FSU Campus Tour
- Saturday, July 28, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.: Day at Beau Turner Youth Conservation Center
For more information, please go to http://www.campsforchampions.com.